Monday, March 8, 2010

Sauce Recipes, Please

Sorry it's been a few days, and I still don't have the menus up. Let me explain...I am still not very good with computers, and my husband was out of town. So, I couldn't figure out how to download or upload, whatever you're supposed to do, a menu form to fill out. Well, he's home now and they are coming, hopefully today! So in the meantime, I'll catch you up with my journey.

This is THE LAST WEEK!!! I am down to the wire on my once a month shopping quest. It has been awesome! This week, I really need to plan well because as you can probably guess I am starting to run low on supplies. If you know of any good regular recipes or sauce recipes, please let me know asap. I have a lot of chicken and hamburger left, lots of onion, potato, carrots, celery, pasta, and rice. But to be honest, I am soooo sick of soup. So I need something besides that. I would like to find a way to make some pasta sauce ,without cheese or tomato sauce, because I don't have any.

Let me say one thing...I will continue to do this, FOR SURE. My next shopping trip will be next Monday. This week my husband and I are going to talk about what did work and didn't work, and we will start planning the menus for next month. At the end of the week I will reveal if I stayed within my $400 dollar food budget. Remember I am shopping for a family of 6 and a full time daycare...Once a Month.

4 comments:

  1. Stacy Trautman Hoppes says:

    How about maybe wide egg noodles with butter on them little salt n pepper n paramasean cheese if you have some? or maybe a pasta salad of some sort. I like to put italian dressing on spaghetti noodles or maybe macaroni salad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jillian Perez Mohr says:

    Do Jerry's pasta salad with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Krista,

    Amy Miller here. (Didn't know if you'd recognize the Creekside Whimsies name.) Try making Swedish Meatballs with some of the leftover hamburger and onion. They're easy, and oohhhh sooooo good. Let me know if you want to try it, and I can tell you how. :)

    If you have cream of mushroom/cream of chicken soup, you can make chicken and rice bake (another very easy one!) I have several recipes for Amish casseroles that take ingredients like pasta, potatoes, meat, cream of chicken or mushroom soup, milk, and seasonings. They're good, too. The recipes call for cheese on top, but that can be omitted since you don't have any.

    Here's another one: make a seasoned white sauce (I can tell you how- super easy), add sauteed seasoned chicken and a veggie like peas or broccoli (if you have any) and mix in cooked pasta.

    I also have a recipe for rice pudding, which makes a great dessert. You can also even serve it for breakfast.

    Just a few thoughts for you. Let me know if you want to try any of them. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy Miller Says:

    Here's a few dinner thoughts based on what you have left:

    Chicken Salad sammies and Pasta Salad- cooked chopped chicken, chopped hard boiled eggs, mayo, tbsp white vinegar, tbsp mustard, celery, salt/pepper all mixed together served on bread, with pasta salad as a side dish.

    Cream sauce (also called white sauce): Start with 4 tbsp butter (melt in saucepan) or 4 tbsp oil (heated in saucepan). Add 4 tbsp flour and stir constantly over med heat until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add 2 cups milk (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup chicken or beef broth) stirring with a wire whisk until all lumps are gone. Season as you like. If you're using chicken, season with things like pepper, thyme, paprika, onion powder, garlic, and a tbsp of lemon juice, more or less depending on your taste. If you're using beef as your meat, season with things like pepper, fresh onion (1/2 onion chopped and sauteed), garlic, oregano, and/or basil. If you want your sauce thicker, add more flour a tsp at a time until it's the consistency you like. If it's too thick, simply add more liquid (chicken or beef broth, milk, or water) a tbsp at a time until it's the consistency you like. One think that I like to add to this sauce when I'm cooking with beef is carmelized onions. That's a fun one! They take a little extra time, but are worth it because the flavor is exceptional. ... See More

    Stuffed Baked Potatoes: make the above cream sauce and add to it frozen corn, chopped cooked chicken, and sliced carrots and serve over baked potatoes. We do this kind of thing all the time and it's really good, and really cheap.

    See what you think of these ideas. I'll try to come up with a few more suggestions for you. The key to getting through this next week is being creative and resourceful.

    ReplyDelete