Tuesday, March 23, 2010

One of My Most Sentimental Moments

I'm finding with this blog that I can go from one end of the spectrum to another. Meaning, I can write about shopping, embarassing moments, birthdays, and now today a more sentimental moment in my life. Maybe I should change the name from Krista's Corner to Krista's Life, which would probably be more accurate.

When I was pregnant with my fourth child (Anna), I started having unexpected complications towards the last few weeks. My blood pressure was very high and the doctor's ended up putting me on bed rest. Which, by the way, is not easy when you have 3 other children. Now towards the beginning of my pregnancy a mission trip was planned to Bogota and my husband was on it. He was going to be back a couple weeks before my due date, and I had never been early, so I was not worried about him going.

Four days after he left I started having some numbing and tingling in my legs, and my blood pressure was still very high so I went in to have some blood work done. The next morning, as I was watching my old favorite TV show "The Price is Right" (oh yeh!), I got a call from my doctor telling me to pack my bags and come in asap. They were going to induce me that day! Well I immediately began to cry and try to explain to him that my husband was out of the country for 5 more days, and please oh please couldn't we wait. Apparently the situation was pretty serious because he wasn't budging.

That e-mail to Sean was probably one of the hardest I've ever had to write. He was going to miss the birth of his daughter. I went to the hospital, things were so sereal...although I had a wonderful support system with my family and friends, I would be lying to say I wasn't devastated. I finally gained control and calmed down when the phone rang in the hospital room...it was Sean. I of course, lost it again.

Throughout that day and night, he was with me. Maybe not physically next to me, but he was with me on the phone, and was a part of everything. When Anna was born at 11:15 pm on Nov.19, 2004 he heard her first cry. I layed the phone on her body and he prayed over her - just as he had done with the other 3. It was a moment I'll never forget. Even writing this I can still feel the emotion.

We sent pictures of her through the e-mail, and I'll always remember how he told me, "she's beautiful, I love her, but I can't wait to hold her." And that makes me think of our heavenly Father when we are not with him. He thinks we're beautiful, and loves us, and can't wait to hold us.

2 comments:

  1. Sean Eisma says:

    Still brings me to tears thinking about it. I remember how excited I was to be on the phone with you and to hear her first cry. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember joking about you have her on my birthday and it wasn't a possibly because Sean was going to be gone. Then when you called me on my birthday I though you were joking until you started crying. I still can't believe you ended up having her on my birthday. Even though Sean was gone I would be lying if I didn't say i was super excited to have a niece for a birthday present. What a great day that was.

    ReplyDelete