Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Featured Mail Tribune Story? What do you Think?

As some of you may have read on my facebook profile, I recently talked with Sarah Lemon from the Mail Tribune. She writes a Southern Oregon Food Blog called "The Whole Dish". She was asking me questions about my "Once a Month Shopping" blog and how everything was going with it. So I thought an update would be appropriate.

I am in the last week of my second month - I will shop again next Monday night. In the last two months I have been to the grocery store less then 5 times. The first month, which was February, I made it the entire month without having to shop except for 2 gallons of milk and some bananas. This month, the only thing I have gone to the store for since March 15, is a bag of cookies, 1 loaf of buns, and 4 gallons of milk. All of which could have been avoided if I pre planned better. Pre planning is HUGE if you are going to succeed at this! I have to admit, I got busted though. Sarah asked me on the phone if I had my menus planned out for this last week - and I didn't! Kind of embarrassing, but I have never claimed to have this down perfectly :) I am learning as I go.

I again have a budget of $400 a month for food and $100 a month for other things like cleaning supplies, shampoo, toilet paper, etc. This budget is for a family of 6 and an in home daycare. So far we have stayed within our budget for the most part. We did go out to eat for my daughter's birthday, and I bought her a cake for her party. Other then that, we have succeeded. I believe you can to!

I am hoping Sarah will read this, and I would like her to know if you would be interested in a featured story on my adventure - who knows, maybe it will be the next "Julie and Julia" or maybe...not :) Either way, all of my facebook comments will go on the blog comment page - so let me (and her) know if you want a story!!!

8 comments:

  1. Jan McLean Martinez commented on your link:

    " I want a story!! I want to know what your kids think of milk that has been frozen??? Did you run out of freezer space? Was their much waste (veggies gone bad)Oh.. the questions that you could answer for all of us!! I think it would be a great story!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Ann Weathers Carnes commented on your link:

    "I agree"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian Perez Mohr commented on your link:

    "I would like to know how you budget. Do you save a little cash to use when you run out of milk or bread? Or do you not count those additions in your budget?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jill - $400 is the total for the month. The first month I went a little over w/ milk - this month I only spent $385 on my big shopping trip, and had $15 for milk or whatever throughout the month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cyndi Robinson Mathews commented on your link:

    "Krista, you do a great job running the house and the family and have time for careful monthly shopping and blogging. Congratulations! I think it's great that you're getting people interested in food, value, and your life. Keep it up!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dyan Vaughan commented on your link:

    "I'm 100% impressed and Interested! Your a wonderful reprentative to us mom's!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep it up Krista! I'm looking forward to getting creative this week. I have about 4 meals planned for the rest of the week and then I'm winging it. Can't wait to stock up again:) This next month should be better for me now that I have one month under my belt:) Love ya and thanks for taking me under your wing:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy Machamer Inge says:

    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete