Thursday, June 3, 2010

Covenant Relationships

As the old woman lay in her bed, her breathing had shallowed. Beside her were her children, now of course grown, and holding her hand. In the background were pictures...snapshots, if you will, of a life well spent. Some of them were when she was younger - her dark hair shining in the sun. Others were of when she was older, holding her great grandchildren. On the other side of the bed, holding her other hand, was the man that she had loved for the last 70 years. As she looked into his loving green eyes, it took her back for a moment. Suddenly there she was, in a beautiful white dress, staring into those same green eyes. Promises were being made, promises that were not meant to be broken. Promises made for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, until death do they part. On this day, there in her room - those promises would be fulfuilled.

I asked the question yesterday, "if you are married, when is your anniversary, and how many years have you been married?" Almost 40 people responded! The years ranged from almost 1 year to almost 49 years. I am proud to say that on June 21 my parents will have been married for 42 years! That is what prompted me to write this blog. I have never tasted the bitterness of divorce, and for that I am grateful. I understand that it is not the case for many people. But, that can change. That is one of the reasons we take such a strong stand on purity, with our children.

There are many types of covenant relationships. Some being marriage, parent/child, friendship, and then the most important one is our relationship with the Lord. In order to be in this kind of relationship we can't be emotionally led. That is one of the number one reasons for divorce - people were either emotionally led in the preparation of getting married, or they were emotionally led in getting out of the marriage. I understand there are situations of abuse and different things...that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about people who just "fall out of love".

Think about the words in our marriage vows for a minute. How would things change if every person lived by them? There would be a lot less broken hearts, and a lot less pain. I never once layed in my bed crying at night because I thought my parents didn't love each other. I never worried if my Dad would be there in the morning, or if my Mom would up and leave him for yet another man. But I know people who have. I bet you do too. Maybe you were one of them. That is why, we have to get back to what it really means to be in a covenental relationship.

For better or for worse:

Every healthy relationship goes through storms. In fact, the Bible promises it. The difference is, when your relationship is built on a strong foundation (Jesus Christ) the storms will make you stronger, not weaker.

For richer or for poorer:

Paul said this: Phil 4:11-13
Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Don't let financial problems bring a wedge between your family. We must fight for what is important!


Until death do us part:

Do you really mean it? In the beginning of this blog, I wrote about an old woman, looking into the loving green eyes of her husband. That is the woman I want to be - 60 years from now. Looking into Sean's eyes, holding on to Emily, Chris, Timothy, and Anna's hands. I want to have pictures all over the place of me playing with my grandkids. And then, when it is time for me to go home to be with my Lord and Savior, I can truly call myself a covenental woman. It is what I long for, it is what I strive for, it is my desire. How about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment