Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Little Details

Have you ever caught yourself noticing all the little details of something? Whether it's the paint on the wall, the trim in a house, the way a plate looks when it is dished up, or even the way someone's hair is cut? Maybe you don't notice these things, but, for a painter, carpenter, chef, or hairstylist, that's probably the first thing they see. One thing I do notice, however, as I'm sure every Mom does, is the little details about my children.

In my son Timothy, I notice his deep brown eyes, quarkey sense of humor, and his very detailed mind. Chris, my oldest son, is very compassionate towards people who are hurting or feel left out, and is extremely smart. Emily has a small red vein that pops up in the middle of her forehead when she is upset. I noticed it literally the day she was born, and still to this day, it is there. Anna, my youngest, is a clean freak. She loves to organize and color coordinate her closet and bathroom drawer. Her idea of fun is dusting and doing the dishes. Trust me, I am taking full advantage of this! My question is this. What do you notice about your children?

It was so fun seeing some of the responses I got to this question on my Facebook page. One person commented they could list little details they notice about their kids for hours. It's true, we love them, and ponder them, and even though at times we can get so irritated with them, there's nothing we wouldn't do for them.

Where do we get the ability to notice these things? I am convinced that we get it from the Lord. We serve a God who is very detailed, and we are made in His image. When He created us He knew exactly what He was doing. Those little details like, the quarkey personality, the compassionate heart, the little red veins, and the abilities to organize, all come from Him. One of my favorite Scriptures that talks about this is in Psalms 139.

Ps 139:13-18

13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You.


So next time you catch yourself walking into a place and noticing the paint on the wall, the way a food is dished, or the little things about your children, know that you also have a God who sees, and ponders, and notices all the little details about you.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Krista! Loved this post! It's awesome the connection you made between us as parents noticing the details about our kids, and yet how much more God notices about us, His kids! Loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I submit this to the Christian Journal? You could be a published author--yes, you could! I've been a writer for almost 20 yrs now--very rewarding and very humbling, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. read my comment--don't know why it's asking me again...grrrr! :(

    ReplyDelete