Monday, January 31, 2011

Routine or Spur of the Moment?

I took a survey on my Facebook page recently, asking the question, "Are you more of a "schedule" or "spur of the moment" type person?" I asked this because I noticed in my life how much of a "routine" type person I am. I like things a certain way, at a certain time, in a certain order. Now to "spur of the moment" type people (who I have in my immediate family) this drives them nuts I'm sure. I mean, how boring, right! If my routine gets messed with I can handle it for a bit, but then I tilt. Someone answered the question on my page, "I am a routine person who longs to be more of a spur of the moment type". That is how I feel also. But, at 36, I still get up at the same time, walk in and turn on the coffee pot, and do a lot of the same things every day.

My daughter, who is also very much a routine person in some things, is right in the middle of her gymnastics competition season. She will always eat Chicken Alfredo the night before a meet, and eggs the morning of. She eats a Power Bar in the car on the way, even though she hates them. She won't touch a sweet the week before a meet, but during the awards ceremony you may see her bust out a bag of Sour Patch Kids. Routine right? This last weekend we were in Washington and she did what I long to do. No, I'm not talking about a backflip, I would break myself! I'm talking about busting out of the normal, and still handling it well. She had the opportunity to stay with a friend at The Great Wolf Lodge, which has a huge indoor water park, the night before the meet. That's the first break of routine. She's never not stayed with us. Then that night for dinner she had a Burger and Fries (or something like that) and most likely a lot of sugar. That's number two. The morning of the meet she only had a bowl of fruit. That's three. Then finally, the meet itself was probably the most "not normal" meet for her personally that she's ever had. However, with all that, she got her highest All Around score to date for the level she's in. When I asked her afterward if she had fun even though it was so different, her comment back was "IT WAS A BLAST!" She had the most fun ever, and has talked about it over and over again.

For those of us who are so scheduled, I want to leave a thought. What would happen if we broke out of our routine? What if we tryed something new or switched things up a bit? Could it be that possibly we would have a blast? For those of you who are very spur of the moment, what if you got in to some sort of routine? Would it help things be more organized or peaceful? No matter who you are, and what "type" of personality you have one thing is for all of us. Love life, laugh hard, and make each day count!

4 comments:

  1. I am going to start blocking out two hours a day (at first) to get my jewelry business really up and going. Bought a website and everything! (soulrox.com).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome Kate! I'll check out your website. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista! How fun is this!! My NEW thing I'm doing to do this month is start a bible group with some great friends who want to seek our Lord more! So excited to start this AND to get my $5.00 coffee coupon! tee hee!
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete