Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Tribute to the 80's

The other morning I was listening to my husband's Ipod and some old 80's music came on. Instantly I felt like I was 13 again. Of course, this is when, MY now 13 year old daughter walked in. It was in that moment that she witnessed something she probably wished she hadn't. Her Mom, jamming out in the kitchen...80's style!

In 1980 I was 6 years old. So, that whole decade was when I basically grew up. There's alot of changes between the years of 6 and 16! So I thought I would have a look back in time to see what was popular when I was my daughter's age. (No, I'm not going through a mid-life crisis) In the words of Nacho Libra..."it's for fun."

Who could forget (though we might want to) Cyndie Lauper, Michael Jackson, Debbie Gibson, Richard Marx, and of course Aha - who had the one hit wonder, "Take on Me"? As you can tell by some of the ones on my list, I was a sappy love song lover. Some things never change. My brother, on the other hand was the opposite. He liked Ratt, Poison, Def Lepard, Van Halen, etc. etc. etc. So you can imagine the fights that would break out in the station wagon over which cassette we were going to listen to.

As far as fashion and hair style...I was the queen of big hair and high bangs. My babysitting money would go towards Aqua Net, blue eyeshadow, and HUGE earrings. Pathetic, I know...finally last year, Sean told me it was time to put that stuff away. (Just kidding...I hope you knew that!) Guess jeans, Espirit shirts, Fish Net sleeves, and Leg Warmers could all be found in my closet. I probably should tell you though, they were borrowed. There was no way, in you know where, that my parents were going to spend that kind of money on clothes. Especially when the jeans had holes in them :)

"Buehler? Buehler ? Buehler ? " Remember Ferris? How about the Breakfast Club or the 2 Corey's ? One of the 1st movies I saw in a theatre was E.T. and then of course Top Gun! Ghost Busters and Karate Kid were a hit, and everyone thought seeing Michael J Fox go from Family Ties to Back to the Future was amazing. Which coincidentally, we watched that on T.V a few weeks ago, and do you remember in the movie Marty went back in time 30 years? He went from 1985 to 1955, and everything had changed so much! Well, my friends, 1985 was 25 years ago, and I would venture to say that, again, everything has changed so much!

All in all, it was a fun time. I often think, what in the world were we thinking?! However, when a song comes on the radio, or an Ipod, you might just catch me dancing...80's style!

2 comments:

  1. Good blog about the 80s. I forgot about the blue eyeshadow until today. Do you remember when we were big on Julian Lennon? Amazing how much of those things we did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot about Julian Lennon!!! He sang, "It's much to late for goodbyes". I loved that song. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete