Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Being Happy With Where You're At

Have you ever thought to yourself, "I wish I was doing something else?" It's so easy sometimes to get discontent with where you are at. It could be a job situation, a place in life, or any number of things. People will feel that way a lot before they are Christians, because no matter what they do they still feel like something is missing. But even after we receive Christ, most of us would agree, that there are still times when you find yourself thinking the same thought.

In my blog "Season's Change", I went in more detail about how I struggled for a long time with where I was at in my life. Many times when you're in that place you feel very lonely, and besides the question, "I wish I was doing something else", you also ask, "Who am I ?" You try to be this for this person, and that for that person, and in many cases we lose perspective of WHY we are doing the things we're doing in the first place. So many of us have many roles to fulfill. For me I am a wife, mother, daycare provider, pastor's wife, mentor, daughter, friend, etc. In every area, I have to ask myself consistantly, "why am I these things?"

An example that comes to my mind is in the area of homeschooling. There have been times I have wanted to quit sooooo bad, and I would get so frustrated. It wasn't until someone finally suggested to me, to remember WHY I was homeschooling in the first place. When I did that, when I remembered the goal, it helped me so much. In the hard times, when I wanted to give up, it was comforting to know there was a reason why I was doing it. I now see the fruit in my children's lives.

No matter where you are in your life right at this moment, remind yourself why you're doing what you're doing. If you're in a job that you don't like - remind yourself that it's for a season, and for now you're bringing in a paycheck, or getting trained for something better. If you are single and waiting to be in a relationship - then remind yoursef that it's all in God's timing and that He will bring you the right person. You are waiting because you know God's choice is always right and you are a beautiful example to others who are also waiting. If you are in times of transition, then remind yourself to be joyful for today, and for the victories that today brings - God is the one who forms our tomorrows.

Renewing our minds in this area is not always easy, but it is necessary. One of the things that was first spoken to us as new Christians was that we were in need of patience. That with patience, we would be lacking nothing. I have to remind myself of that often - be patient - the steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord.

Find the balance of having vision for the future, yet being happy for where you're at today.

No comments:

Post a Comment